Waterways Experiences is a registered charity. Our mission is to promote well-being by providing affordable canal boat trips particularly for the disadvantaged. We operate three boats from a beautifully landscaped boatyard near Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire.
We operate without any paid employees. As volunteers, what makes us tick is the satisfaction of being able to share our passion for the waterways and canal boating with people normally excluded from this pastime.
Some of the things that make our boats and our service special:
- all our boats were designed to provide great access for the less mobile. They have ramps and lifts and plenty of turning space for wheelchairs.
- everyone on board has the opportunity to get involved with working the boat (steering and operating locks).
- for those for whom steering and lock operation is either not appealing or not feasible, the novelty of the surroundings and close encounters with nature is very special.
- shyer passengers often surprise themselves by their achievements in rising to the challenge
Become a member
If you’d like to help us with our mission, please join as a member by signing up using this form. We send out regular newsletters including information about volunteering opportunities. Membership is currently free of charge.
We are constituted as a membership organisation. Click here to read the constitution.
Trustees are appointed by the membership, and the following were elected at the first AGM held on 14th November 2014. The chair and other roles were allocated by Trustees at their first meeting on 19th November 2014. Click on any trustee to send them a message.
- Rick Hogger (Chair)
- Roy Cook (Treasurer)
- John Bennett (Membership)
- Sally Ash (Marketing & Communications)
- Bryan Atkin
- Malcolm Tebbutt
- Rob Ferneyhough
Follow Waterways Experiences on Facebook
How to find us
View Waterways Experiences Boat Base in a larger map